Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Panama and on to Colombia 2 11 11


Bocas del Toro


Bocas Del Toro

The ride from Bocas to Panama was a really long day . I was up a 5.00am to catch the first boat (6.30) back to the main land (before the heat comes on ) . I had the bike packed (and it was all there ) and was on the road by 8.00am . 
The ride through to Sandiago was fantastic , beautiful mountains and not a lot of traffic . But on the way i stopped at a petrol station for some gas (thought this doesn't look to good ) . Lucky for me I always  fill at half a tank if i can ( better half a tank of shit petrol than a whole one ). As soon as I took off I knew SHIT PETROL ., well the bike missed and farted and i had to stay in 4 /5 gear most of the way . But it didn't spoil the ride one of the best .
Santiago to Panama was just a 4 lane Highway and it rained for the last 20kms  (again , I mean rain , shit it can rain ) . I found the Hostel without to much trouble , it was getting dark at this tme (approx 5.30pm) . 
The day was 580kms of some great riding ,  sitting on da Tiger is so easy , you can just go and go  


Panama city 

Panama City is what I would call a nice city . There is no beach (just a lot of mud at low tide ) and the difference between rich and poor is very Black and White . One minute you are in the Gettos and the next you are in what appears to be luxury and high rise . The two seem to live almost on top of one another .


I hired a taxi for the day ($50) and had a complete city tour , including the Panama Canal
Very interesting 



Fish Market  and Carlos my taxi Driver come guide


I stayed at the Panama Passage Hostel in Panama (it is just a house ,  so comfortable and relaxing ) , above is a young couple who were there.
They had bought 2 motor bikes in Boliva and were riding them north .
Chine (French , she had never ridden a Motor Bike before coming to Bolivia ,how's that   ) and Hein (Dutch) were just such a great couple , they cooked some fantastic meals (for me as well) . Some of the experiencs they have had are amazing . Travelling all over South America on 200cc Chinese  Motor Bike , with next to no money , they were an inspiration . 


The Tiger all packed for the flight to Bogota Colombia 

I have run into 2 Aussie guys (Philip and Wade , I would say early 30s ) so I will be travelling with them for a while ( I will see how it goes ). They are both great guys ,  they started  in Alaska and are going to the bottom  as well .

Colombia so far , first impressions go  , I think it is a very nice city , the people are great , very friendly and helpful . I feels very good here , I like it a lot . 

We had no problems at all getting the bikes into Colombia .

I am having new tyres put on the bike (not that they need it yet ) here in  Bogota .   The bike checked ready for the next stage South America 
We will be heading north first up to Cartagena before we turn down south . 









1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear everytning was good and bike all go! So nice to have a visit from Ruth and hear ofthe first part of your holiday in Spain etc. Spoke to Lee today on skype and they are having an amazing trip too.
    Must be great to have someone to travel with who speaks your lingo. All good here,warming up too. Speak soon.take care XX

    ReplyDelete